Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Journaling

I've wondered for a long time about why I keep a journal. I've filled up a few books by now; I started writing when I was in junior high school as a result of being bored in class, and afterwards I just kept making entries. Some of them are a day or two in between but most are weeks or months apart.

Some people write journals as though they're writing to a penpal. "Dear Diary, here's what happened to me today." I don't really do that. I don't write for the purpose of myself or someone else reading what I write at some point in the future. I just find that I think a lot late at night, and if I have recurring thoughts that I can't get out of my head, I just write down those thoughts in my journal.

This blog is similar. Only a handful of people (if any) read it, but that doesn't bother me. I don't write for the readers, mostly. Mainly I write entries here because I type faster than I can write, and sometimes I don't have my journal handy. If I have thoughts that wouldn't be terribly embarrassing to admit publicly, this is a convenient place for them.

But why bother writing these thoughts down? It's not so I have an archive of my life. It's not so I can look back and see how much I've grown; to be honest, I'm consistently ashamed of entries I've written even a few months ago, of the decisions I made or the things I said or did, or just my outlook on life in general.

I suppose some of life's issues are too complex to think about all at once. Humans in general are terrible at looking at the big picture. We prefer to focus on one thing at a time, fact-by-fact. This might be easier but it also leads to having a biased outlook on pretty much everything.

If I write down all my thoughts as they come to me, not in any particular order, eventually there's enough on my pages to externalize the issue and finally see the big picture. If I'm thinking about a problem in my head, it's just this confusing web of thoughts that jump from one to another for God knows what reason. Once it's all on paper, it's just a math problem. A logic puzzle. I can look at everything at once and decide what to do next.

It doesn't apply only to decision-making. I use it to form opinions about the world. I suspect the approach could be used to figure out just about anything.

If you're reading this and you don't keep a journal, start. You'll come to realize your own biases and learn how to account for them. You learn how to look at issues from every point of view and start to see the big picture. You do sort of have to force yourself to write at times, but it gets easier, and you won't regret it.

3 comments:

  1. I don't keep a journal, but I do definitely do something similar - I spend an inordinate amount of time creating adventures, plans, etc. for D&D and similar games. Sometimes issues from real world come in, sometimes they don't. Either way, I have piles and piles of ideas that will never see the light of day. Sometimes I take from them. Other times I toss out old stuff after thinking it is garbage.

    Perhaps this is a symptom of how I think about the world - I definitely know that thinking of something as a story can help me deal with complex issues, and some prolific authors (Sir Terry Pratchett, for instance) do believe people think in stories. Other times, I find that the written medium doesn't work well with an idea I am trying to work through, and I search for other mediums.

    Some of the weirder things I've put these ideas down in:
    - Source code.
    - Starcraft/starcraft 2/Warcraft 3 maps - just something simple, but attempting to model or look through some concept.
    - Magic the Gathering decks
    - Dwarf Fortress

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of a group project I was working on, I was writing code late at night and I just ended up writing a /* huge comment that was completely unrelated to the code */ and just sort of journaling about my feelings at the time, haha.

    I think it's important to have an outlet, for me it's a journal but there are certainly other ways to express yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Nick. I started a blog and at first thought I needed to write for someone other than myself. I thought I needed to have a lesson or some kind of message I want to get across. Then it became a great pressure to produce a post because I didn't know what to write about. Now, it's just fun to write about whatever and look back and read and either laugh, sigh or reflect. Mostly, it's just good to get out those thoughts in our heads. Thanks for sharing!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete